We've all dealt with fruit flies at some point. They are those seemingly harmless little flies that attract to fruit that is left out in fruit bowls on the counter. While they may seem like a mere annoyance, their presence can actually be harmful to your health. Here's why:
- They're Hairy: You can't see it with your own eye, but these fruit flies are very hairy. Why is this a problem? All of that hair is sticky and collects loads of bacteria that can be harmful. Every time that fruit fly lands on a piece of fruit that bacteria can rub off and leave you susceptible to consuming the bacteria left behind. The most common ailment people have after eating fruit that has been exposed to fruit flies is diarrhea.
- They Don't Just Hang Out on Fruit: Fruit flies can be found anywhere, including the garbage, compost gardens, and, not to mention, they breed inside of drains, which is definitely a dirty place where a lot of harmful germs can be collected. This is why their hairy bodies easily attract harmful bacteria that can then be transferred onto the fruit that you are about to consume.
To prevent yourself from being exposed to the bacteria that travels around on fruit flies, here's what you can do:
- Wash Your Hands and Fruit: If you do leave fruit out on the counter and know that fruit flies have been around, you want to be sure that you wash the fruit before consuming and then wash your hands immediately afterwards. Yes, this even includes eating a banana. Too often, people believe that because the peel gets thrown away anyway, you are not being exposed to bacteria. However, when you are peeling the banana, the bacteria can transfer to your hands, which is why you should definitely take the time to rinse the banana peel before consuming.
- Use Fly Nets: If you are going to leave fruit out, it's highly recommended that you cover it with a fly net to prevent fruit flies from being able to get to it in the first place. This is a great way to get the flies out of your home and not returning.
- Hire Pest Control: If fruit flies are a really bad problem in your home, it's a good idea to hire pest control, like Environmental Services Pest Control, to help the situation. The right appliance of insecticide in the home will help prevent fruit flies from sticking around and coming around in the first place.
So, if you notice fruit flies in the home, be sure to take action to protect yourself from any kind of health issue in the future.